“U.S. stock futures on Monday pointed to a lackluster session as a partial government shutdown stretched into a third day,” Victor Reklaitis reports for MarketWatch. “Strategists are saying shutdowns can weigh on the stock market, but they don’t tend to bring about heavy selling.”
“Dow Jones Industrial Average futures fell by 50 points, or 0.2%, to 25,996, while S&P 500 futures shed 1 point to 2,810. Nasdaq-100 futures was flat at 6,845,” Reklaitis reports. “On Friday, the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite scored all-time closing highs, while the Dow rose to within 0.2% of its record close that was achieved Wednesday. The three gauges have gained between 24% and 32% over the past 12 months, helped by an expanding U.S. economy, growth in corporate profits and enthusiasm over tax cuts for companies.”
“‘History says that investors have little to fear from government shutdowns, as four of the seven in the past 35 years were accompanied by price declines that averaged only 1.0% and required less than two weeks to get back to break even,’ said Sam Stovall, CFRA’s chief investment strategist, in a note late Sunday. ‘We think this shutdown will also be a non-event,'” Reklaitis reports. “Apple Inc.’s stock traded 0.8% lower in premarket trading. The dip comes amid fresh concerns about iPhone X sales, with the worries weighing on the Silicon Valley giant’s suppliers in Asia.”
Read more in the full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: From what we can see, these “concerns” about iPhone X sales are based on specious evidence consisting of data from Apple suppliers.
Even if a particular data point were factual it would be impossible to accurately interpret the data point as to what it meant for our overall business… There is just an inordinate[ly] long list of things that would make any single data point not a great proxy for what’s going on. Apple CEO Tim Cook, January 23, 2013
Cramer: Ignore reports about Apple iPhone concerns from people who ‘don’t know anything’ – January 18, 2018
Apple stock slips as no-name analyst claims ‘lukewarm’ iPhone X demand – January 17, 2018
Reports of Apple cutting iPhone X orders make no sense – January 2, 2018
Apple stock tumbles on one poorly-sourced report of low iPhone X demand – December 26, 2017
Apple and suppliers shares drop on report of weak iPhone X demand – December 26, 2017
MDN must have been dying all weekend waiting to post a story on the gov’t shut down.
The Trump Shutdown is ruining the Obama economic recovery. Hopefully Donald managed to drag himself out of bed a little early and cut the “Executive Time” by going to work before 11am today. You were supposed to be this great negotiator—so strike a deal and get the government reopened!
The #SchumerShutdown is all about giving illegal aliens a higher priority than Americans. WTF is wrong with Democrats?
Actual trading pointed to a market gain.
It’s important to remember #DACA was an EO signed by Obama because Congress couldn’t sign it into law.
DACA is not & never was voted into law by our Representatives.
And now the Dems are hurting our children & military over a non-law to protect illegal aliens.
DACA is an executive order signed by Obama. He signed this EO becasue the do nothing missing in action GOP congress refused to even address this issue. This same GOP also refused to addressed minimum wage and an infrastructure jobs package.
Funny how the GOP congress had no problem and time to pass the massive tax cuts for the rich and corporations by changing the rules and only needing 51 votes to pass it in the senate.
The CHIP program expired at the end of Sept. 2017. The GOP congress fused to extended it years. Instead they extended it for 3 months. The GOP congress is now using this issue a a stick to beat the Dems when it was all GOP.
The bigger issue with his shut down is not DACA, it is the continuing resolution that only lasts 30 days. The military is being as well as many other workers is because the GOP congress is passing spending CR for only 30 days at a time instead of passing a budget for a year.
Obama on DACA: “Let’s be clear. This is not amnesty. This is not immunity. This is not a path to citizenship. It’s not a permanent fix.”
Start at 3:42 in the video.
No DACA solution until the border is secured is only logical. Otherwise, you’d have DACA messes to deal with every decade.
The Dems cannot grasp such a simple, logical concept because they are inherently illogical.
Shut it down forever (excluding the duties for which the federal government was originally intended)!
Why the addled Dem/Lib/Progs are really upset:
The vanishing Obama presidency
• Energy: The Keystone XL Pipeline has been approved. The Dakota Access Pipeline has been approved and is operational. U.S. energy production is up, and gas prices are down. Deep Obama administration reductions in offshore drilling leases are in the process of being reversed.
• Education: The Obama Education Department’s Title IX “guidance” to colleges and universities mandating how to treat sexual assault cases has been rescinded. Numerous Education Department programs begun in the Obama administration are being terminated.
• Environment: The Obama EPA’s Clean Power Plan to regulate carbon dioxide as a pollutant, the implementation of which was already blocked by the Supreme Court, has been rescinded.
• Labor: The Obama-controlled National Labor Relations Board rule treating franchise chains as single employers for the purpose of collective bargaining has been repealed.
• National parks: Obama’s vast additions to U.S. national monuments in Utah have been rescinded.
• Internet: Net neutrality has been repealed.
• Immigration: The Obama executive order on Deferred Action Against Parents of Americans, which was blocked by a federal court, has been rescinded. His executive order on Deferred Action Against Childhood Arrivals has been rescinded, awaiting potential congressional action.
• Health care: Obamacare has been significantly modified by regulations to allow new, less costly forms of health insurance and by the repeal of the individual mandate. Additional regulatory changes are coming this year. As the health exchanges continue to shrink, the principal impact of Obamacare will be the expansion of Medicaid enrollment.
• Consumer protection: The structure of the Obama-era Consumer Financial Protection Agency has been ruled unconstitutional by the District of Columbia Circuit Court because it is unanswerable to any elected government official. The CFPB is facing additional legal and legislative challenges.
• Economy: The economic recovery beginning in 2009 produced historically slow economic growth, a declining labor participation rate, stagnant wages and increasing food stamp usage. Today’s economy is growing more rapidly, the labor participation rate is up, wages are beginning to rise, and food stamp usage is down.
• Military: Reductions in military spending and U.S. troop levels are being reversed.
• ISIS: Changes to the Obama rules of engagement for using military force led to the rapid defeat of ISIS.
• Environment: The United States has announced its intent to withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord.
• Trade: The United States declined to join the Trans-Pacific Trade Partnership.
• Iran nuclear deal: The president has declined to certify the Iran nuclear agreement, which the Obama administration negotiated, setting the stage for withdrawal or modification.
• Syria: The president has used military force to enforce Obama’s “red line” against Syria’s use of chemical weapons.
• Ukraine: U.S. policy toward Ukraine is changing; the U.S. will now send lethal weapons to assist Ukraine in resisting Russian aggression.
• Cuba: Obama’s opening to Cuba has been put on hold.
• Israel: The United States and Israel have restored their historically close relationship.
• Egypt: The flirtation with the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt has been replaced by U.S. support for Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi.
With the exception of a shrinking Obamacare and the CFPB, no significant initiative of the Obama administration remains in place. The near doubling of the federal debt during his eight-year presidency — from $10 trillion to $19 trillion — seems like a very high price to pay for such ephemeral results.
The Obama presidency is vanishing before our eyes. In only 12 short months, the legacy of Obama’s presidency is best captured by the motto of a well-known disaster restoration company: “like it never even happened.”
— Jeff Bergner, The Virginian-Pilot, Jan 14, 2018
40 41 42 43 – 45.
the treason erased.
Provide evidence of your ridiculous claim or beg our forgiveness for being an uninformed Fox News whack job. (And Trump’s collusion with Russia is not treason, right?)
Trump trumps Schumer.
“A shutdown falls on the President’s lack of leadership. He can’t even control his party and get people together in a room. A shutdown means the president is weak.”
-Donald “Shithole” Trump 2013
The 1994 Rwandan genocide occurred because one tribe convinced themselves that another tribe were nothing but cockroaches. Around 1 million people were murdered in the resulting civil war. Fox News demonizes and hates Democrats all day every day. You republicans think Democrats are cockroaches. So the question is botvinnick, uninformed human, when will you begin the civil war and kill millions of Democrats because of the lies told by Fox?