On BestBuy.com, under the heading “Check out our expanded selection of Apple® PowerBook® and iBook® notebook computers below,” Best Buy lists three MacBook models and three MacBook Pro models and uses the same photo of a 15-inch MacBook Pro for every model of MacBook Pro and MacBook they offer.
Particularly galling is Best Buy trying to sell black polycarbonate 13.3-inch MacBooks (MA472LL/A) with a photo of an obviously aluminum 15-inch MacBook Pro.
Lest you think we’re being too hard on Best Buy for a minor mistake, there is a long history (Sears, for one nasty example) of third-party retailers shortchanging Apple products, leaving Macs on display without mice, broken keyboards, and worse in stores staffed by salespeople who knew absolutely nothing about Macs and worked hard to steer customers on over to the Gateways as fast as they could.
On the bright side, at least Best Buy didn’t show an Acer or something: http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat64400050028&type=category
MacDailyNews Take: Already the screw-ups begin. Note to Best Buy: Apple is known for attention to detail. Do it right or don’t do it at all.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “G Thing” for the heads up.]
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Related MacDailyNews article:
Best Buy now selling Apple MacBook Pro, MacBook, and iMac models – May 31, 2006