“Late last week, Intel made news at an analyst meeting in which CEO Paul Otellini revealed an accelerated rollout schedule for products based on Intel’s next-generation microarchitecture. According to reports by the Inquirer, DigiTimes, and others, the server part, Woodcrest, will be the first of the new lineup to hit the streets this coming June, followed by Conroe (the desktop part) in July and Merom (the mobile part) in August,” Hannibal reports for Ars Technica.
“So those of us who’ve been waiting for the Merom-based MacBook now have a more specific timeframe to work with. It looks like we’ll see them officially unveiled at the August WWDC. As for the PowerMac replacements (Mac Pros? MacMacs?), the launch date may depend on whether Apple chooses Woodcrest or Conroe for the brains of their pro line. I’m leaning towards the idea that Apple will use a lower-clocked (and hence lower-priced) Woodcrest and introduce the PowerMac replacements in June, but this would put the PowerMac on shelves well in advance of the August WWDC at which it was formerly rumored to debut. A Conroe-based iMac might also make it out before WWDC,” Hannibal reports. “As you may recall, WWDC was pushed back to August from its normal June date, presumably to coincide with Intel’s Q3 rollout of Woodcrest, Conroe, and Merom. But Intel just keeps bumping up the intro dates for these parts in response to a number of factors (competitive pressure from AMD, profit shortfalls, internal restructuring), a fact that probably drives Apple nuts. Imagine the wrath of Steve if he really did delay WWDC from June to August in order to make it coincide with what was at the time an already accelerated Woodcrest rollout, only to have Intel move the Woodcrest launch date even further ahead into June! Such are the woes of being a relatively small fish in the very large pond of the x86-based PC market.”
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Too Hot!” for the heads up.]
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.