“A large bore drill is starting to grind a one-metre tunnel through the remaining 12-16 metres of rock separating the rescuers from two miners trapped in a Tasmanian gold mine for eight days. But Beaconsfield mine manager Matthew Gill said it would be ‘at least 48 hours from now’ before the drill broke through to Brant Webb and Todd Russell. The rock, he said, is ‘harder than concrete’ and the drilling has to proceed slowly,” Ben Cubby reports for The Sydney Morning Herald. “Meanwhile, members of the medical team are underground 24 hours a day, speaking to Webb and Russell through a 12-metre long PVC pipe. Tasmanian Ambulance Service paramedic Matthew Eastham said psychologists had instructed them how to speak to the two men, cramped inside a 1.2m by 1.2m steel cage under tonnes of rock.”
Cubby reports, “The men have received messages from their families, as well as magazines and iPods to keep them occupied… Prime Minister John Howard has delivered a message of support to the two men, calling their ordeal a wonderful story of endurance and courage… A digital camera has also been passed to the two men so they can show rescuers and medical staff their surroundings and what is happening to them. ‘They are able to point the camera around the various parts of their fairly cramped environment,’ Australian Workers Union national secretary Bill Shorten told reporters.”
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Jeremy” for the heads up.]
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.