“Apple iOS 10 is here and the case to upgrade is a strong one thanks to a multitude of major new features,” Gordon Kelly writes for Forbes. “And this case gets even stronger given all the secret features iOS 10 also hides beneath the surface.”
• Find My Car: Siri automatically detects when you’re driving and drops a pin at the location you stop, so you can easily find it later.
• App Widgets: Shortcut: 3D Touch on an app that supports widgets and you will get a preview of the widget and the option to quickly add it, along with the usual 3D Touch shortcuts.
• Smart Downloads: go to Settings > Music > Downloads and switch ‘Automatic Downloads’ to on and you will find any album can be quickly downloaded by tapping the ‘+Add’ button. Useful for those who do a lot of offline listening (such as frequent flyers).
• Flashlight Tweaks: For 3D Touch enabled iPhones (6S and above) open up the Control Center and use a harder pressure touch on the flashlight icon to get low, medium and high brightness options.
• Restore Touch to Unlock: iOS 10 requires users to physically press the home button to unlock their devices, rather than just make contact for the Touch ID fingerprint scanner. If you don’t like this go to: Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button and enable: ‘Rest Finger to Open’ to get the old method back.
Twenty more hidden iOS 10 features here.
MacDailyNews Take: Bonus iOS 10 hidden feature: How to easily use your iPhone as a magnifying glass.
WSJ reviews Apple’s iOS 10: Your older iPhones and iPads will feel new – September 13, 2016
Apple releases iOS 10 – September 13, 2016