“Customize your computer and master the Terminal with these tips, tricks, and Terminal phrases,” Serenity Caldwell writes for iMore.
“We’re going to go over some great interface and user tweaks you can execute to customize your Mac,” Caldwell writes. “These tricks are often simple and can help you spruce up your Mac far beyond what the System Preferences window allows.”
15 Terminal tips and tricks:
1. Show hidden files and folders
2. View any file’s contents
3. Copy the contents of a folder from one place to another
4. Download files outside of your browser
5. Change your screenshot’s file format
6. Disable drop shadows on a screenshot
7. Create a new default name scheme for screenshots
8. Change the location of your screenshots
9. Create a custom login message
10. How long has my Mac been running?
11. Keep your Mac awake (caffeinate)
12. Make your Mac automatically restart after a crash
13. Add spacers to your Dock
14. Dull hidden apps in the Dock
15. Hide non-active apps in your Dock
How to execute each of these 15 commands in the full article here.