“The timing was a bit awkward, to put it mildly. On Mar. 22, the day after the lower house of France’s legislature passed a radical new digital-rights law that could eventually prompt Apple to withdraw its iPod music player from the French market, the California company unveiled a long-planned collaboration with one of France’s leading universities to promote educational technology centered around, you guessed it, the iPod,” Andy Reinhardt reports for BusinessWeek. “Under the terms of the two-year partnership, Apple will work closely with HEC, a business school located near Versailles, on integrating iPods and other digital technology into classrooms and curricula. It’s the first such relationship Apple has struck in Europe, following the model of similar deals with Stanford University and Duke University in the U.S.”
“Cooperation presents enticing opportunities for both parties. HEC will get a boatload of hardware, software, service, and support donated by Apple. The technology will allow the school, which offers undergraduate business and MBA programs in English and French, to explore cutting-edge uses of computers, networks, and iPods in higher education. That encompasses not only delivery of course material and other information to students, but also creation of new content by students and faculty using tools provided by Apple,” Reinhardt reports. “For Apple, the hookup with prestigious HEC is the first step in a plan to penetrate business schools and other institutions of higher learning across Europe.”
Full article here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Will Apple’s Steve Jobs bid France adieu? – March 22, 2006
Apple calls proposed French DRM law ‘state-sponsored piracy,’ predicts iPod sales increase – March 21, 2006
French National Assembly approves digital copyright bill; could affect Apple’s FairPlay DRM – March 21, 2006