Tether’s new version for the iPhone is purely based on HTML5 and creates a completely wireless connection over AdHoc. This circumvents the need of buying the application directly from Apple’s App Store and allows any iPhone or iPad with a data connection to allow tethering.
Frequent travelers in particular love Tether because it works all over the world, no matter what network or carrier is available at the time. There’s no need to worry about reconfiguring the Internet connection from network to network.
• Internet Anywhere: You can use Tether anywhere you have cellular coverage.
• Easy Setup: Download our software to your iPhone and another for your laptop. Then surf the web and email just like you would with any Internet connection.
• Fast Speeds: Download speeds that are unbelievably fast.
• No Tethering Fees: Tether uses your phone’s data plan and we do not charge tethering fees.
• All iPhones: Tether is compatible with all iPhones.
• All Carriers: Tether has been used on carriers all over the world.
• Mac and Windows Compatible
A subscription to Tether costs $30 per year (30-day money back guarantee).
More info here.
MacDailyNews Take: Data is data. Take that, dumb pipes!
MacDailyNews Note: If you got a new iPad Wi-Fi + 4G with Verizon Wireless, you will have tethering via those units for no additional charge.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Readers "Fred Mertz" and "Edward Weber" for the heads up.]
Verizon including mobile hotspot in iPad data plans at no additional charge – March 8, 2012
That didn’t take long: After download frenzy, Apple pulls iTether from App Store – November 29, 2011
‘iTether’ unlimited tethering app appears in Apple’s App Store (with video) – November 29, 2011