Taking everything learned from its other stores throughout the U.S., Apple’s high-profile store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago was designed to be the ultimate Apple Store. The store is filled with the full range of Apple products and accessories, including the first-ever Apple Store Internet Café. In addition, the store includes a 2,400 ft2 GreenGrid green roof, outfitted with 302 four-inch deep GreenGrid modules. One of the main design features of this store is the class studio/boardroom that overlooks the “eco-friendly” green roof. The green roof is also visible from the many high-rise buildings that surround this part of Michigan Avenue, a.k.a. the “Magnificent Mile.”
The GreenGrid green roof was installed in approximately 12 hours to meet Apple’s schedule. The photos shown on this and the linked page were taken 2 days after installation of the modules. The extensive GreenGrid modules were densely planted exclusively with Sedum kamtschaticum for an instant “carpet of green” look. This plant material requires little maintenance, is very hardy in the Chicago climate, and provides a wonderful green impact for this landmark store.
More info and photos here.
Mre info about Apple Store North Michigan Avenue here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader "McKinlay" for the heads up.]
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.