“Until recently, you faced a stark choice when picking a home computer — you bought either a Windows PC or a Macintosh. The popular PCs guarantee you will have access to a vast software library, but the computers’ antiquated Windows XP operating system is infamous for its security failings. The PCs offered by top makers wouldn’t win sexiness awards, either. Apple Computer’s Macs, by comparison, are attractive machines with a state-of-the-art operating system and slick software for mainstream tasks. But Apple’s meager market share has meant slim software pickings elsewhere,” Julio Ojeda-Zapata writes for The St. Paul Pioneer Press. “Now, you no longer have to choose. Just buy a Macintosh.”
“In what may be prove to be a key chapter in personal computing, the latest Macs are able to run XP and Windows software as quickly and effortlessly as they handle the Mac OS X operating system and Mac programs. A current-model Mac is essentially two machines in one,” Ojeda-Zapata writes. “If PC makers like Dell, Sony and HP aren’t worried, they should be. Who’s going to want a PC with such a slick Mac solution? Plus, Apple won’t allow its prized OS X to run on Intel-based machines other than Macs.”
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: Not a lot of new thought here (we’ve been writing the above since last June), but the article does offer a nice rundown of methods of running that Windows-only game or application via Apple’s Boot Camp, Parallels’ Workstation for Mac, and CodeWeavers’ CrossOver Mac.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader Scott Rose for the heads up.]
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Dude, you got a Dell? What are you, stupid? Only Apple Macs run both Mac OS X and Windows! – April 05, 2006
Why buy a Dell when Apple’s Intel-based computers will run both Mac OS X and Windows? – June 08, 2005