NPD: Apple’s MacBook Air dominates with 56% of U.S. thin-and-light notebook market

“The MacBook Air, all by its lonesome, has captured the majority of the total thin-and-light laptop market, according to data from NPD,” Brooke Crothers reports for CNET.

“The MBA grabbed 56 percent of U.S. thin-and-light laptop sales in the first five months of the year, Stephen Baker, an analyst at the NPD Group, told CNET,” Crothers reports. “The remainder, 44 percent, was captured by ultrabooks from various PC makers.”

Advertisement: Apple 13.3″ MacBook Air dual-core Intel Core i5 1.3GHz (Haswell processor), Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5000, with OS X Mountain Lion. Only $1,094.00

Crothers reports, “If reviews of the 2013 MacBook Air — announced this month — are any indication of future sales, the situation could become even more lopsided this year.”

Read more in the full article here.

Related articles:
Wired reviews Apple’s new 13-inch MacBook Air: ‘The best gets better; buy it now’ – June 27, 2013
Ars Technica reviews Apple’s new 13-inch MacBook Air: Big boosts to storage, GPU, and battery performance – June 27, 2013
AnandTech reviews Apple’s new 13-inch MacBook Air: Really quite awesome – June 24, 2013
TIME Magazine reviews Apple’s new 13-inch MacBook Air: Pushes battery life to new, productivity-changing heights – June 19, 2013
ZDNet reviews Apple’s new 13-inch MacBook Air: The new standard for laptops, a stunning achievement – June 14, 2013
PC Magazine reviews Apple’s new 13-inch MacBook Air: Astonishing, astounding; Editors’ Choice – June 14, 2013
Engadget reviews Apple’s new 13-inch MacBook Air: Stunning 12+ hour battery life – June 13, 2013
Hands-on with Apple’s new MacBook Air: True all-day battery life – June 13, 2013
Why the MacBook Air didn’t get a Retina display – June 12, 2013
Apple brings all day battery life to MacBook Air – June 10, 2013


  1. Just bought my new maxed out 13″ air. These are back ordered a month at macmall! Never thought I’d be in the market for an air vs a pro, but grad school changes everything. The money and pixel savings from the air I’m gonna put toward a refurb Thunderbolt Display. Max battery at school, max pixels at home. Best of both worlds.

  2. That number is going to get a lot more lopsided considering that the 56% so far in 2013 was of sales of the MBA that had not been refreshed since this time last year. The battery life improvement alone will increase sales dramatically.

Reader Feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.