After much recent flakiness, Apple claims MobileMe services restored

Apple’s MobileMe has been, um… performing less than optimally over the past few days, but, early this morning, Apple claimed that everything, including MobileMe Mail, is working again:

Apple’s MobileMe System Status Recent History

• MobileMe Mail – 09/30/2011 03:00-04:30 PDT
Some MobileMe members experienced delays with incoming mail. Normal service has been restored. We apologize for any inconvenience.

• www.me.com web apps – 09/29/2011 19:10 PDT – 09/30/2011 03:00 PDT
Some MobileMe members were unable to access MobileMe applications at me.com. Normal service has been restored. We apologize for any inconvenience. Read more

• MobileMe Find My iPhone – 09/29/2011 19:10 PDT – 09/30/2011 03:00 PDT
Some MobileMe members may have been unable to access Find My iPhone. Normal service has been restored. We apologize for any inconvenience.

• MobileMe Mail – 09/29/2011 19:10 PDT – 09/30/2011 03:00 PDT
Some MobileMe members were unable to access MobileMe Mail. Normal service has been restored. We apologize for any inconvenience.

• MobileMe Mail – 09/29/2011 09:00-15:20 PDT

• MobileMe Mail – 09/28/2011 17:00-19:30 PDT
Some MobileMe members may have been unable to receive emails sent from non-@me.com / non-@mac.com email addresses to their @me.com email address. Members were still able to receive emails sent to their corresponding @mac.com email address. Normal service has been restored. We apologize for any inconvenience.

MacDailyNews Take: Poor old MobileMe can’t be put down fast enough. Bring on iCloud!

39 Comments

1. ImmobilizeMe must have been designed in the basement of 1 Infinite Loop comprising of the bottom 20th percentile rejects from the other teams working on the Mac OS X development project. They must have cone up with banalities like ‘unnatural scrolling’, ‘versions for morons’, ‘autosave for the brain dead’ and that Godawful bled out gray palette of Lion.

2. We may be looking at the transfer of services from the old servers to the billion dollar server farm. I was hoping for a smoother transfer with less media attention. I also wish more about the hardware at the new farm were known. I don’t think they have an Apple logo on those servers. However, I assume that they are running OS X.

1. If that is the reason, wouldn’t they make that transition at quiet times? Maybe it has screwed up and overrun.

I think we can guess that the server farm tin is probably IBM Power series running AIX or another UNIX clone. OS X is not built for this type of application.

2. actually that has been reported, the bulk of the servers do NOT run OS X and are not even Apple hardware. I recall they are like HP or Dell servers running Linux predominantly. Since Apple stopped making their x-server, Apple had to go with an outside vendor.

Sad but TRUE.

1. I have it on excellent authority the “big iron” in the Apple data center in NC is NCR TerraData systems. These are custom built systems using NCR’s unix OS. These things are hardcore and will be able to take a beating day in and day out.

Customers like Walmart, HEB (large regional grocer in Texas), Hallmark and many others have been using ever progressive systems as data warehouses for well over 25 years.

Last big system I heard about going in was built for one of the initial firms of the federal government. I am also not aware of any breach of security on any of these systems, ever.

3. MacDailyNews Take: “Poor old MobileMe can’t be put down fast enough.” I’m a multi-year user of MobileMe and believe it should never have been born. Mail is torture, although shifting from online mail to Mail has made that better. Just this morning I’ve had messages twice that MobileMe could find the server and would the alternate server be ok? Yes, just send the damned email! I spent hours getting my 4 kids’ college calendars on iCal, but MobileMe won’t sync them. Can’t get them to my wife’s laptop! I had some control over syncing on Snow Leopard, but the new System Preference seems to have removed the manual sync. I hope iCloud shows a big step forward in Apples web capabilities. They have not shown much aptitude to date. Has anyone else noticed how bad search is on Apple? I can never find a product or a service issue through Apple’s search capability. If I back out of their website and use Google, presto, I get the links I need INTO APPLE’S OWN WEBSITE.

1. Same here. Despite the clunkiness, I always found iTools/iDisk/.Mac/MobileMe to be worth the price and suffering.

Apple clearly fumble-bumbled MobileMe from the start, hoping that ‘Web 2.0’ app development and functionality lived up to the hype. It didn’t. JavaScript sucks, etc. Apple servers for MobileMe have had intermittent troubles as well. Apple admit their failings.

And yet, I am going to miss the full functionality of MobileMe versus the relatively limited functionality of iCloud. Hopefully other cloud service providers can fill the gap and provide higher quality than Apple has. I’m certainly happy with DropBox so far, as long as I encrypt everything at my end, seeing as DropBox has bad security issues at their servers.

In the end, perfection is an aspiration, not a reality. Don’t expect iCloud to be perfect either.

4. I am one of the “some” MobileMe me members that couldn’t send emails last night. However, that has still not been restored on my Mac! And I can’t get on a live chat to report it. Com’on Apple, I would have expected this from Verizon, but not you!

5. Admittedly I don’t send a lot of email, but I receive it at all times of the day and personally I’ve never really noticed any problems with it. That said I do use google as my outgoing server as I use it as an archive and that way it puts a copy in both sent folders.

Reader Feedback