“The company that redefined the way we listen to music has decided to call it quits in India. Apple, known for its popular iPods, is pulling out its software development and support operations in India,” R Raghavendra reports for the Times of India. “The company had commenced operations in April and hired about 30 people for its subsidiary, Apple Services India Pvt Ltd.”
“At a meeting on May 29, Apple announced its decision to lay off all its employees. Apple officials told them that ‘the company is revaluating its operations and has thought of pulling back its Indian operations.’ Apple is giving these employees a severance package of two months salary. It will settle all claims on June 9. When contacted, Steve Dowling, an Apple spokesperson, said, ‘We have re-evaluated our plans and have decided to put our planned support centre growth in other countries.'” Raghavendra reports.
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “matt” for the heads up.]
“According to a sacked employee, the company had told them that its operations would now head back to the US,” CyberMedia News reports.
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “m.” for the heads up.]
[UPDATE: 9:30am EDT: Added CyberMedia News report info.]
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs postpones Bangalore visit until September – April 04, 2006
Apple says Bangalore facility won’t cause any existing American job cuts – March 17, 2006
Apple to send Jobs to Bangalore in April – Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Apple to hire 3,000 for massive technical support facility in Bangalore by 2007 – March 09, 2006