“Contest has been won – updates to follow shortly. All further donations will go into an account to sustain the open source project that will be launched with the initial solution,” reads an announcement on the “Windows XP on an Intel Mac Contest” website.
The total prize won amounts to US$13,854.
The rules of the contest included such provisions as:
• Instructions must boot Windows XP (at least), not Vista or any other version of Windows.
• Windows must be able to coexist with Mac OS X and each system may not interfere with the operation of the other (basically a traditional dual boot system where one OS is running at a time)
• Your method, upon starting the computer, must offer the user to boot either OS X or Windows XP
• You cannot use virtualization software such as Xen or VMWare
• Winner gives contest website the rights to post the solution exclusively
More info here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Video of Microsoft Windows XP booting on Apple iMac Core Duo? – March 15, 2006
Windows XP booting on an Intel-based Mac? – March 14, 2006
Growing reward pot awaits first person to get Windows XP running on Intel-based Mac – January 24, 2006
Intel-based Macs running both Mac OS X and Windows will be good for Apple – June 10, 2005