“Some Apple patents for Spotlight have recently surfaced and they show sides of the Finder we haven’t seen before. Apple is expected to release the next version of OS X – 10.5 ‘Leopard’ by the end of 2006 or early 2007. Little information has leaked about Leopard but rumours suggest that the Finder of OS X 10.5 (code named ‘Chardonnay’) is going to depend heavily on Spotlight (Apple’s metadata and search tool),” hrmpf.com reports.
Improvements to the Finder include:
• New Spotlight User Interface
• Hierarchical Nested “Smart Folders”
• (More) Human Readable Search Queries
• better metadata creation- OCR, voice recognition, analysis of images etc.
More info and images form the patent apps are here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “David” for the heads up.]
See also hrmpf.com’s related article “Apple, Chardonnay, Leopard and Spotlight” here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.