“Investor sentiment in Apple this morning has been that they have made or are making a poor move in shooting to acquire the Tidal streaming music service,” Orange Peel Investments writes for Seeking Alpha. “”This acquisition would come after Apple acquired Beats by Dre just a year and a half ago and would help Apple round out its media offerings.
“Already, Apple is being berated on social media by those who are critical of this potential acquisition,” OPI writes. “We did a small bit of research and realize that a couple of factors are in play here and that this may not be the worst idea the company has ever had. Most importantly, we’re baffled at how people think this can be a ‘terrible idea’ without knowing how much Apple is willing pay and without clarity on what they are getting for their investment.”
What Tidal offers Apple:
• More than 3 million subscribers, about 1/5 of Apple Music’s subscriber base
• Exclusive access to Prince’s music library during the year of his death
• Subscribers pay up to $19.99 a month, in which is about double the average streaming music service. This is an easy segue into Apple offering a “hi-def” version of its service
• Data on all of these members
• Endorsements from all of the celebrities that have rallied behind title to get it to where it is today
Read more in the full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: It’d be a no-brainer acquisition.
Why the heck would Apple want to buy Jay Z’s Tidal? – July 1, 2016
Why Apple buying Jay Z’s Tidal makes sense – and why it doesn’t – July 1, 2016
Desperate Spotify tries to manufacture an Apple App Store antitrust issue that does not exist – July 1, 2016
Spotify accuses Apple of ‘grave harm’ – July 1, 2016
Apple in talks to acquire Jay Z’s Tidal music service – June 30, 2016