“Apple Inc is investigating an accident in which a Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock when answering a call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging, the U.S. technology company said on Monday,” Lee Chyen Yee reports for Reuters.
“Last Thursday, Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old woman from China’s western Xinjiang region and a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, was electrocuted when she took a call on the charging mobile telephone, the official Xinhua news agency quoted police as saying on Sunday,” Yee reports. “‘We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,’ Apple said in an e-mail.”
Read more in the full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: Tragic story.
If true, the likelihood that some third-party or other non-standard situation is high. There are tens of millions of iPhone 5 units in the world that have been answered while plugged using Apple’s supplied plugs and cords that, thankfully, did not result in electric shock deaths.