“Google is unveiling a small tablet computer bearing its brand in a challenge to Amazon’s Kindle Fire,” Michael Liedtke reports for The Associated Press. “The Nexus Seven is designed specifically for Google Play, the online store that sells movies, music, books, apps and other content — the things Amazon.com Inc. also sells for its tablet computer.”
“Both tablets have screens that measure 7 inches diagonally, smaller than the nearly 10 inches on Apple Inc.’s popular iPad,” Liedtke reports. “The Nexus Seven will also be light — at about 0.75 pound, compared with the Kindle Fire’s 0.9 pound.”
“The Nexus Seven will ship in mid-July starting at $199 — the same price as the Kindle Fire,” Liedtke reports. “Customers can start ordering it through Google on Wednesday, initially in the U.S., Canada and Australia.”
“Although the tablet carries the Google brand, the machine will be made by AsusTek Computer Inc.,” Liedtke reports. “There are already other Android-powered tablets on the market, but none have proven nearly as popular as the iPad or Kindle Fire.”
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: Piss poor reporting. The Kindle Fire is not at all popular and does not even deserve to be in the same article, much less the same sentence as Apple’s revolutionary iPad, without which, neither Amazon nor Google would be peddling tiny screen e-shopping front-ends to the ignorati.
We’d call it a “Kindle Killer,” but Kindle Fire’s pretty much dead already.
• Apple’s revolutionary iPad widens lead as tablet sales surge – June 15, 2012
• Apple’s massive domination of tablet market unabated as Amazon’s tiny screen Kindle Fire demand tumbles – June 5, 2012
• Apple’s iPad remains dominant in Q112 while Amazon’s tiny screen Kindle Fire fizzles – June 4, 2012
• Amazon’s tiny screen Kindle Fire shipments have dropped off a cliff – May 9, 2012
• Amazon’s Kindle Fire shipments fizzle to anemic 4% market share – May 4, 2012
Google ‘Nexus 7′ tablet ships in July with Tegra 3, 7-inch display, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 16GB (with video) – June 27, 2012