German government warns against using MS Explorer

“The German government has warned web users to find an alternative browser to Internet Explorer to protect security,” Daniel Emery reports for BBC News.

“The warning from the Federal Office for Information Security comes after Microsoft admitted IE was the weak link in recent attacks on Google’s systems,” Emery reports.

“A spokesman for Microsoft told BBC News that developers for the firm were trying to fix the problem,” Emery reports. “However, this is no easy task. Not only have the firm got to fix the loophole, but they have to ensure it does not create another one and – equally importantly – works on all computers. This is a challenge compounded by the fact they have to fix three different versions of its browser.”

Full article here.

MacDailyNews Take: Once again, if you have a choice (i.e. no IT doofus standing over your shoulder dictating stupidity) and are still using Internet Explorer, STOP IMMEDIATELY! Go get yourself a real Web browser.

47 Comments

  1. I have had a few older people ask me about getting IE for their Macs.
    These people usually had either not upgraded from OS 9x, 10.1x or were switchers that wanted something familiar as a touch stone.
    I simply configure Safari for them and help them adjust.
    As for FireFox…I have used it a few times and I can’t see what’s so great about it.
    Chrome? Haven’t even bothered to look.
    I know there are other Mac browsers out there, but I like Safari. I have to support Safari and it’s part of my ACMT recert requirements.
    I recommend Safari to everyone that has a Mac or a PC.
    Safari runs great on a PC, much, much better than IE.

  2. It’s funny though, the British press can get BBC right, but can’t bring to type NASA.
    They almost always call it Nasa.
    And to think these are the people that invented the English language cause me no end to an amusement.
    Wonder what Edmund Blackadder would say?

  3. I saw this on Engadget this morning. I sent the link into MDN, but I guess they found it on their own, before reading my email. ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”smile” style=”border:0;” />

    My comment was that more governments should be doing this, rather than catering to IE, such as ours does.

  4. No mercy for the fools that use IE. You deserve everything you get using that useless piece of crap. Safari, Firefox, Opera, CHrome: all free, all nice, all fast and all so much better than IE. Makes you feel kind of dirty even saying it. IE. Maybe microsh*t should change it to Eew.

  5. @Mark S

    One peope separated by a common language.

    Of course just become one numbskull uses Nasa and not NASA (it isn’t a word) you can’t assume ALL english people are equally lazy. Though, based on my experience with australians, most of the ones I know wouldn’t know the difference. Alas, the top 5% of the intellect curve seems to be getting further and further divorced from the other 95%, which seems to be succumbing more and more to the relentless dumbing down by the media. They seem to be so trusting and willing to trust and questioing nothing. It also may exlpain why so many people use IE.

Reader Feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.