“If CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta had his way, when you unwrapped your new iPod or iPhone this Christmas, there might be the following warning label:
SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: Ingesting or inhaling your iPhone or iPod earbuds may be hazardous to your health.
Poor reports, “The November 9 CNN “American Morning” warned of the dangers of iPods. The screen read ‘IPOD & IPHONE DANGER – CAN THEY HURT YOU?'”
“Gupta reported that the cord connecting the earbuds to your iPod contain phthalates, according to the litigious Center for Environmental Health. Phthalates are a substance often used for increasing the flexibility of plastics, but according to an article on macnn.com phthalates ‘may hinder the sexual development of mammals,” Poor reports. “But even Gupta did not say that using an iPod or an iPhone as intended would be dangerous… ‘So the immediate takeaway is, don’t eat your iPhone or your earbuds?’ asked CNN co-anchor John Roberts. ‘Or breathe it in,’ Gupta replied.”
Full article here.
Direct link via YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4tzo8XDtig
CNN’s website features the video here.
We guess Apple wasn’t kidding back in January 2005 when they said Do not eat iPod shuffle.