“Long used on the run, Apple Computer’s iPod soon will be customized for runners. As part of a deal announced Tuesday with Nike, the company will soon release a kit that will essentially allow the digital music player to function as a pedometer, giving runners information on the distance they’ve gone, the calories they’ve burned, and the length of time they’ve been running. The kit will include a wireless antenna that will connect an iPod nano to specially designed Nike shoes,” Troy Wolverton reports for TheStreet.com.
“The deal with Nike is one of the first efforts to connect the iPod to a nontraditional electronic device. In addition to the pedometer information, the Nike+iPod kit from Apple will include software that will allow customers to designate a “power song” that they can play at the touch of a button during workouts, and to set up customized song play lists for use with particular workout routines. As part of the deal between the two companies, Apple plans to add a sports music section to its iTunes Music store,” Wolverton reports. “Shares of Apple and Nike both rose following the announcement. In recent trading, Nike’s stock was up $3.03, or about 4%, to $81.01, while Apple’s stock was up 67 cents, or about 1%, to $64.05.”
Full article here.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Analyst: Nike+Apple = iPod as a platform – May 23, 2006
Nike and Apple team up to launch Nike+iPod, footwear that talks to your iPod – May 23, 2006