“Two years after it took the ax to a range of employee benefits, Microsoft is introducing new perks for its staff. The plan, known as MyMicrosoft, was unveiled to the Redmond, Wash., masses this week,” Jo Best reports for CNET News. “It also revealed that ‘the towels are back,’ referring to the popular towel-laundering service for sweaty staff washing at work after exercising or cycling in to campus, a perk that was axed in the benefits cull in 2004. Those cutbacks followed a call by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for the software giant to make $1 billion worth of cuts. At the time, he warned that even Microsoft’s free soda policy was under review… Now, after a series of high-profile defections, including that of Kai-Fu Lee, who founded Microsoft’s Chinese Labs, to Google, Microsoft is reversing its earlier stance.”
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Sketchtrain” for the heads up.]
MacDailyNews Take: That’ll fix everything. We know why they’re really sweating in Redmond now, don’t we? Seriously, forget the towels, they’re all going to need new underpants soon.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Microsoft suffers from malaise, key defections, Windows Vista struggles, lack of towels – September 16, 2005