“Rumors that Apple Computer may finally be on the verge of introducing its first consumer Intel notebooks are true, AppleInsider has learned. Development of the 13-inch widescreen portables wrapped up last month. Ever since, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has been waiting for the signal from its marketing division to begin manufacturing ramp and rollout procedures,” AppleInsider reports. “According to well-placed sources, Apple began building the new notebooks — expected to be called MacBooks — sometime last week. It’s believed that Asustek is handling production. Each MacBook is expected to sport Core Duo processors from Intel Corp and pack novelties such as a completely magnetic latching system, built in iSight video camera, and MagSafe power adapter. Additionally, each MacBook is expected to come bundled with Apple’s Front Row and PhotoBooth software applications.”
Full article here.
“Following up our report earlier this week concerning the MacBook’s May availability, sources have nailed down next Tuesday, May 9, as the introduction day for the Intel-based laptop,” Think Secret reports. “On a side note, a coding glitch with Apple’s Web site has all but confirmed the MacBook moniker for the new consumer laptop. The error began cropping up late Thursday evening and was still present intermittently Friday morning and resulted in Apple’s iPod homepage being replaced by an empty page sporting a navigation hierarchy reading ‘Home > Hardware > MacBook.'”
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: Sounds more and more like there will be eventually be a couple of 13-inch “MacBook” models at the entry level, a couple of 15-inch MacBook Pro models, and one or two 17-inch MacBook Pro models when all is said and done. Now, will those “MacBooks” come in colors?
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Related MacDailyNews articles:
Report: iBook replacement due soon, 1.2 million Apple 13.3-inch ‘MacBooks’ on order from Asustek – April 12, 2006
RUMOR: New Apple MacBook to come in colors – April 12, 2006
Apple trademark filing suggests ‘iBook’ to be rebranded ‘MacBook’ – March 06, 2006
RUMOR: Apple iBook to become ‘MacBook’ while ‘MacBook Pro’ will offer more screen size choices soon – January 11, 2006