Parallels has released Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta5 for Mac OS X which allows users to use Windows, Linux and virtually any other operating system at the same time as Mac OS X, enabling users to enjoy the comfort of their Mac OS X desktop while still being able to use critical applications from other OSes.
Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta5 for Mac OS X features:
• OS Support: Use any version of Windows (3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, XP, 2003), any Linux distribution, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation, or MS-DOS in secure virtual machines running alongside Mac OS X.
• Performance: Driven by full support for dual-core processors and Intel Virtualization Technology (included in almost every new Intel-powered Mac), virtual machines created using Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta5 offer near-native performance and rock-solid stability.
• Ease of Use: Download the program and install it with a single click. Build a virtual machine in seconds using helpful wizards. Configure virtual machines using a simple web-inspired interface.
• Works on any Intel-powered Mac: Any Intel Powered Macintosh running OS X 10.4.4 or higher is compatible with Parallels Workstation 2.1.
• Introduced USB support. Connect your favorite USB devices directly to a virtual machine!
• Introduced shared folders. Share files between Mac OS X and any Windows XP or Windows 2003 guest virtual machine! Learn more about Shared Folders Support…
• Support for dynamic screen resolutions. When a guest OS is selected, a list of available screen resolutions is dynamically populated with primary OS resolutions.
• Fixed keyboard mapping problems
• Fixed mouse pointer lag problem
• Better sound support
• Fixed problems with sleeping/waking up the primary OS when a VM is running
• Introduced the ability to resize a guest when switching to fullscreen mode
• Added optional “transition cube” animation for transitioning to and from fullscreen mode
• Fixed several kernel panics
• Added default network adapter for bridged mode
• Sound lag fixed
More info and download link (15.2MB .dmg) here.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Related MacDailyNews articles:
Virtue for Parallels Workstation offers 3-D cube OS switching for Apple Macs – April 24, 2006
Parallels releases VM Compactor 1.0 Beta – April 21, 2006
Washington Times: Parallels Workstation 2.1 ran Windows XP ‘quite nicely’ on an Apple Macintosh – April 18, 2006
Parallels Workstation 2.1b4 released; run Mac OS X, Windows & Linux concurrently on Intel-based Macs – April 18, 2006
Apple’s Boot Camp vs. Parallels Workstation for running Windows on Intel-based Macs – April 14, 2006
Video of Parallels running Windows XP on Mac OS X showing real time clock – April 11, 2006
Video of Parallels running Windows XP on Mac OS X – April 07, 2006
Parallels releases first virtualization solution for Intel-powered Apple Intel-based Macs – April 06, 2006
Parallels to intro virtualization software for Intel-based Macs – April 04, 2006