Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs attended a Cupertino city council meeting on April 18 to announce Apple’s plans to build a second Cupertino campus on 50 acres.
Transcribed by Kimra McPherson for the San Jose Mercury News:
Steve Jobs: I don’t have much of a presentation. … I mostly just came down to tell you something and get your feedback on it.
When we started Apple in my parents’ garage 30 years ago this month — April Fools day — after about a year we moved to Cupertino. We’ve been here for almost 30 years, been here ever since. What’s happened at Apple is that our business has basically tripled in the last five or six years. We’ve gone from 6 billion in sales to 20 billion in sales, basically.
What that’s meant is that our head count in Cupertino has dramatically expanded.
Now we have this great campus down near 280 — but we are in 30 other buildings now. We’ve rented every scrap of building we can find in Cupertino to put our people, and they just keep getting further and further away from the campus, which is — the whole situation’s pretty inefficient and frustrating. It’s inconvenient and frustrating for people.
We decided many months ago that we need to build a new campus, and we didn’t think we could do it in Cupertino, because there ain’t a lot of apricot orchards left in Cupertino.
Full transcription here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Rainy Day” for the heads up.]
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Apple Q2 2006 Conference Call notes – April 19, 2006
Apple CEO Steve Jobs plans new 50-acre campus in California – April 19, 2006