“It appears that the fans in Macs do indeed go on regardless of which OS is running, though there is apparently some concern about how the fans are regulated by software over time. Several commenters have pointed out that even in some earlier Mac models, running non-Apple OSes (i.e., Linux) could result in the fans running constantly, due to a lack of Apple power-management software. So, the good news seems to be that, no, XP won’t melt your Mac. The bad news? Your fans may whirr constantly, causing a bit of noise pollution, and possibly draining your batteries before their time if you’re using a MacBookPro,” Engadget’s Marc Perton reports.
Full article here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Meltdown Warning: Windows XP on Intel-based Macs lacks fan driver – March 20, 2006