FileMaker has announced the immediate availability of FileMaker Server 7 (http://store.filemaker.com/r1.html), the new server software for hosting FileMaker Pro 7 database files.
“Whether you’re a 2-person small business or a large corporate workgroup, FileMaker Server 7 allows you to easily share, manage and access database information with others while dramatically increasing productivity,” says Ryan Rosenberg, vice president, Marketing and Services, FileMaker in the press release.
FileMaker Server 7 now offers numerous breakthroughs in data sharing and administration, as well as advanced security features, including the following new features:
– FileMaker databases run faster
– New within FileMaker Server 7 is the ability to perform searches and calculations on the server instead of the client database providing data speed gains; get greater performance from hard disk storage systems and multi-CPU servers; while taking advantage of large amounts of RAM using sophisticated caching.
– Host virtually unlimited amounts of data
– Each of the 125 database files that can be hosted on FileMaker Server 7 can store up to 8 terabytes of information — 4,000 times the old limit. And, because each FileMaker database file can now contain multiple data tables, a single FileMaker Server can host thousands of data tables. For added scalability, users can add FileMaker Servers to their network as their business needs grow.
– Easy database administration from anywhere
– The new FileMaker Server 7 Administration Tool (SAT) allows users to accomplish the following tasks, either locally at the Server station or remotely over a network: Perform maintenance on live databases, including live backups while the file is in use; Automate unattended, scheduled backup; Audit remote administration through a new Event Log entry that identifies Administrators and their activities; Ensure that all clients have the most current plug-ins using the Auto Update feature; Record plug-in downloads in the Event log; and change server settings without restarting the server.
– Better data protection with new security features
– FileMaker Server 7 provides three new key security functions: account authentication management for reducing the overhead of managing user accounts and passwords, using industry standards provided by Active Directory (Windows) and Open Directory (Mac OS); Database visibility control for filtering the display of hosted database names based on the users’ privileges to protect sensitive information; and data encryption to enhance the security of FileMaker information that is transferred between hosted databases and desktop clients via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption.
FileMaker Server 7, priced at $999/$499 upgrade (U.S., Suggested List Price), is shipping to FileMaker volume license customers starting today. The company plans to begin shipping retail units to all other customers and distribution partners June 2. Customers can place pre-orders now for FileMaker Server 7 by phone (1-800-325-2747) or online with select resellers at http://store.filemaker.com/r1.html Licensed users of FileMaker Server 5.5, 5.0 or FileMaker Pro Server 3.0, 2.1 may upgrade to FileMaker Server 7 at just US$499, a 50% savings off the regular price. This offer is valid from May 24, 2004, to September 17, 2004, in the U.S. and Canada. After that date, only licensed users of FileMaker Server 5.5 will be eligible for the US $499 upgrade price.