“My problems started about a week after installing Apple Music. While Apple Music Radio and Playlists worked well, adding music to my library is nothing short of a mind-blowing exercise in frustration,” Dalrymple writes. “I started to notice that whenever I added an album to my library, not all of the songs would get added. When I looked at the list of songs, there would be some missing—sometimes, most of the album would be missing. ”
“I’ve tried logging out of my accounts on all my devices and allowing Apple Music to rebuild itself. I’ve turned iCloud Music Library on/off and I’ve done just about everything else I can think of doing. Nothing I’ve tried works,” Dalrymple writes. “The only thing that changed since I started using Apple Music is transferring my Beats account to my new Apple Music subscription. I can’t say for sure if that caused all of these problems or not, but it was around the same time.”
At some point, enough is enough. That time has come for me — Apple Music is just too much of a hassle to be bothered with. Nobody I’ve spoken at Apple or outside the company has any idea how to fix it, so the chances of a positive outcome seem slim to none. As if all of that wasn’t enough, Apple Music gave me one more kick in the head. Over the weekend, I turned off Apple Music and it took large chunks of my purchased music with it. Sadly, many of the songs were added from CDs years ago that I no longer have access to. Looking at my old iTunes Match library, before Apple Music, I’m missing about 4,700 songs. At this point, I just don’t care anymore, I just want Apple Music off my devices. I trusted my data to Apple and they failed. I also failed by not backing up my library before installing Apple Music. I will not make either of those mistakes again. — Jim Dalrymple, July 22, 2015
Read more in the full article here.
1. Always back up your data.
2. If Jim Dalrymple can’t get satisfaction from Apple, no regular customer who’s similarly affected likely can either.
3. We have all of our songs. Every single one. We did not transfer a Beats Music account to Apple Music. We simply started with our music library (a mix of many ripped CDs purchased over many years – it took months and months to rip them! – and iTunes Store-purchased music), as iTunes Match subscribers (all of our tracks ripped from CDs were long ago upgraded via iTunes Match for better quality), and as users of iCloud Music Library. We’ve had no issues whatsoever (knock on wood).
4. We hope Jim gets all of his music back (Apple needs to make this right), that Apple figures out what’s happening to some people, and that Jim can eventually trust and come back to Apple Music as it really does work like a dream, especially when you have all Apple devices as we and Jim do (Macs, iPads, iPhones, iPod touches, and Apple Watches). Spotify is crap compared to Apple Music.
5. Hopefully, this is a relatively isolated issue that is affecting the least number of customers possible.
6. We are thankful this didn’t happen to us, but we also have multiple backups, so if it did, we wouldn’t be pulling our hair out today.
7. Always back up your data.
Apple fails yet again in the cloud: How to use Apple Music without iCloud Music Library – July 23, 2015
Oh ok, Spotify listeners are upgrading to Apple Music – July 19, 2015
Oh ok, Spotify: Apple’s iOS 8.4 adoption already at 37 percent – July 7, 2015
Apple Music could kill more than just Spotify, it could kill music labels, too – June 25, 2015
Spotify founder: Oh ok, we don’t need to be number one in music streaming – June 11, 2015
Why Apple Music will gut and publicly execute Spotify – June 10, 2015
Spotify CEO claims to be ‘ok’ with Apple Music – June 9, 2015
Jimmy Iovine and Eddy Cue: Apple Music gunning for Spotify, YouTube, and terrestrial radio – June 9, 2015
Something about Apple Music betraying Apple’s brilliance by ignoring ‘The Harry Potter Theory of Marketing’ or some such nonsense – June 9, 2015
Bob Lefsetz on Apple Music: What team is Jimmy Iovine on? – June 9, 2015
Apple Music’s huge advantage over Spotify – June 9, 2015
Apple Music is a major mess and it won’t beat Spotify or something – June 9, 2015
When Apple Music arrives, what happens to iTunes Match? – June 9, 2015
What Apple Music says about how Apple views musicians – June 8, 2015
Apple’s revolutionary Apple Music just might prove its skeptics wrong – June 8, 2015
Apple unveils revolutionary Apple Music service – June 8, 2015