Hyundai will display working versions of future vehicle infotainment systems and voice-recognition technology incorporating features enabled by several technology partners, including:
• Apple’s Siri Eyes Free mode: Hyundai will integrate Siri, the intelligent assistant that helps drivers get things done just by asking, and the much-anticipated Eyes Free mode into its vehicles. Through the vehicle’s infotainment system, drivers with a compatible iPhone* running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of tasks while they safely keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel. To further minimize distraction, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further with an Eyes Free mode which enables drivers to interact with their iPhone using nothing more than their voice while keeping the device’s screen from lighting up.
• Nuance’s Dragon Drive: Developed by Nuance, Dragon Drive is an automotive-grade voice services platform for the connected car that enables drivers to speak naturally and conversationally with in-car systems. Drivers can simply dictate messages, search for their favorite music, find real-time weather and even ask directions to their favorite restaurant – in the car or in the cloud. With its extensive experience in the automotive industry, Nuance is working with Hyundai to integrate Dragon Drive into its future vehicle infotainment systems.
• Mobile High-Definition Link: MHL technology delivers 1080p60 uncompressed video with up to eight channels of digital audio from a mobile device to a dashboard display, all while charging the device. With MHL technology, Hyundai is able to integrate mobile devices into the car infotainment experience by enabling consumers to display apps and other content from the road. The MHL ecosystem is continuing to grow with an installed base of more than 220 million products and has fast become the de facto standard for smartphones.
• Next-Generation Hardware: Hyundai will feature the latest hardware with high resolution, multi-touch displays, Bluetooth®3.0 and Wi-Fi/3G connectivity options with user-centric interface design. Drivers will be able to access connectivity features such as web browsing, mobile hot-spot, and media streaming through the support of DLNA and Mirror Link and Aha by HARMAN. These next-generation systems will also showcase popular entertainment features like Pandora, HD Radio and SIRIUSXM.
* Siri is available in Beta on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd and 4th generations), iPad mini and iPod touch (5th generation), and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
Source: Hyundai Motor America
Read more in the full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Readers “Fred Mertz” and “Edward W.” for the heads up.]
GM to integrate Apple’s ‘Eyes Free’ Siri technology starting with Chevy Sonic, Spark – June 19, 2012
Harman CEO on Apple for Automotive: ‘Apple is a partner, not an adversary’ – June 13, 2012
Nine auto makers partner with Apple for ‘Eyes Free’ Siri integration – June 12, 2012