“Samsung Electronics Co. created a standalone team of about 200 employees working exclusively on screens for Apple Inc. products as the world’s biggest technology companies strengthen business ties, people with direct knowledge of the matter said,” Jungah Lee reports for Bloomberg.
“The team at Samsung Display Co., which provides screens for iPads and MacBooks, helps develop products and is only allowed to share information about Apple business within the group, the people said, asking not to be identified because the details aren’t public,” Lee reports. “The team formed April 1 and also helps with sales, the people said.”
Lee reports, “Samsung is relying more on its display and semiconductor units after falling into a tie with Apple for leadership of the global smartphone market.”
MacDailyNews Take: Lie. Leadership isn’t measured in units sold by any competent observer. Anybody can make cheap knockoffs, price them at no margins, and move units. Look at Xiaomi. That’s not leadership. This is leadership: Apple took 89% of Q4 smartphone profits, leaving Android mired at record-low 11%. That all of “Android,” not even Samsung. Okay, Jungah Lee, reporting from Korea out of Samsung’s PR department, are you?
Lee continues, “LG Display Co., a rival supplier of panels to Apple, also has a separate unit focused primarily on business with its biggest U.S. customer, another person familiar with the matter said.”
Read more in the full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: Dominant leaders have other companies scrambling to assemble special teams in order to serve them and keep them happy. Samsung kowtows to Apple and don’t you forget it, Jungah Lee.
We’re sick and tired of certain outlets trying to equate crap cloners with Apple. Usually with bylines from “reporters” based in Korea, interestingly. These disinformationalists especially like to hang their hats on unit shipments that corrupt chaebols like Samsung don’t even report. Outside estimates of shipments, not even sales, are not an accurate measure of “leadership.” We all know who the dominant leader of the global smartphone market is, the company who invented it, certainly not some IP- and trade dress-infringing fragmandroid peddler of iPhone knockoffs.