“I’m scared. Imagine you’re the passenger and a coke-addict speed addict drunk is driving the car and it’s on one of those James Bond cliffs where one wrong move and everybody dies in a firebomb,” James Altucher writes for Yahoo Finance. “That’s where the economy is. I’m not a doom and gloom guy. I’m an optimist.”
“The average person is screwed. There’s nothing left to help us. That’s all you need to know about the economy. I’m on the board of a billion revenues temp agency. I can tell you, it’s not pleasant what is happening. Don’t believe the employment numbers. Look at the part-time numbers. Look at underemployment. Look at people leaving the ‘numbers’ behind,” Altucher writes. “Which is the good news. Because there is a separate economy… the innovation economy. So if you want to avoid riding over the cliff in economy #1, you must go into economy #2. Here are the trends coming in the next ten years and the stocks to keep an eye on.”
• Lithium shortage: Every car needs batteries. A car is just a computer with a car app on it now. And computers need better batteries. All the lithium is in..guess where…China and a tiny unheard-of country called Afghanistan. Why do you think we’re still there?
• Old people: Every ten years the average age of death is rising by 2.2 years.
• The OFFENSE industry: Too many people mistakenly call this the defense industry. What exactly is America defending against? We have military in 74 countries. We’re in ten different wars in the past few years. And the government doesn’t hire tiny companies to offend for us. They hire big companies that then hire the tiny companies.
• Clean energy: And by clean energy I mean coal. You ever see those vast tracts of land with those ugly wind farms that don’t work? Land that could’ve been used for food? You get coal by mining straight down, and still fuels half the country with electricity.
• The leaders: There are three clear leaders that are not going anywhere and keep out-innovating each other: AAPL [Apple], AMZN [Amazon], and GOOG [Google].
Tons more – including Altucher’s specific stock picks – in the full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: There is no market in which they all compete where Google or Amazon have out-innovated Apple (and, no, accumulating mapping data for a longer period of time, is not innovating).
[Thanks to MacDailyNews readers too numerous to mention individually for the heads up.]