InMobi, the largest independent mobile ad network, today announces the results of its custom iPad-focused study, iPad 3 and the Mobile Market. The InMobi announcement acts as a forecast for the March 7 Apple iPad announcement in North America.
Commenting on the study, Anne Frisbie, Vice President and Managing Director, North America, InMobi, says in the press release: “Nearly one-third of respondents are planning to buy the iPad 3, and 44% would only consider the iPad if purchasing a tablet. Interestingly, 65% of those who intend to buy an iPad 3 would consider buying an iPad or iPad 2 at a reduced price instead,indicating that whether or not consumers purchase an iPad 3 versus an older model, the excitement around the iPad 3 release will likely increase iPad penetration in the tablet market.”
Key highlights from the study include:
• 29% of respondents are planning to buy the iPad 3. 54% of those who are planning to buy the iPad 3 do not already own a tablet.
• 65% of those who intend to buy an iPad 3 would also consider buying an iPad or iPad 2 at a reduced price instead.
• 50% of those surveyed who intend to buy the iPad3 are willing to pay over $500. If the iPad 3 is over $599, however, 57% of those surveyed would opt for an older model instead.
• 44% of respondents would not consider another tablet brand instead of the iPad. Amongst those who would consider other brands, however, the Samsung Galaxy took second place, with 27% of respondents saying they would consider buying it. 14% said they would consider a Kindle.
• The features respondents are most looking forward to are faster processor speed (57%), followed by better battery life (47%), a higher-quality screen (46%), and 4G connectivity (43%).
51%of respondents would purchase the iPad 3 for entertainment over business or education.
Anne Frisbie continues, “In terms of the impact of the iPad 3 on the mobile industry as a whole, we definitely see consumer adoption of tablets contributing to increased mobile media consumption, as our recent Mobile Media Consumption Study shows that North American mobile consumers are already spending more time on mobile devices versus TVs or PCs.”
To view the infographic from this study, seethe Consumer Research section of the InMobi Research webpage: www.inmobi.com/research
About the study: iPad 3 and the Mobile Market
InMobi conducted the on-device survey among 689 US mobile users. The survey was distributed on InMobi’s mobile advertising network and the data is representative of all major platforms in the US market, including Android and iOS.
InMobi is the largest independent mobile advertising network. With offices on five continents InMobi provides advertisers, publishers and developers with a uniquely global solution for advertising. The network is growing and now delivers the unprecedented ability to reach 485 Million consumers, in over 165 countries, through more than 93.4 Billion mobile ad impressions monthly. The recent acquisition of Sprout, a leading HTML5 authoring platform for mobile rich media, helps expand the InMobi offering to creative agencies and brands.
InMobi is venture-backed by investors including: SoftBank, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sherpalo Ventures. The company has offices in Bangalore, Johannesburg, London, Nairobi, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore and Tokyo.