Verizon to offer Apple iPhone buyers $30/month unlimited data plan

“It’s official: Verizon is going to offer iPhone buyers a $30 unlimited data plan,” Roger Cheng reports for The Wall Street Journal.

“The carrier’s heir apparent and chief operating officer, Lowell McAdam, told us the news ahead of the company’s meeting with investors,” Cheng reports. “‘I’m not going to shoot myself in the foot,’ he said. Not offering an unlimited plan would put up a barrier for customers who might otherwise switch from AT&T, he said… But you’d better act fast. Speaking later Tuesday morning, Mr. McAdam said the iPhone unlimited plan will be a temporary offer and that the carrier will follow AT&T’s move to tiered pricing in the not too distant future.”

Cheng reports, “Anticipation Verizon would soon offer the iPhone held back sales over the fourth quarter, he said. Analysts seemed happy with the subscriber growth, but McAdam wasn’t. ‘It wasn’t what I hoped it would be,’ he said.”

Full article here.

MacDailyNews Take: That’s funny because in an article headlined “Verizon: iPhone Expectations Didn’t Dent Smartphone Sales” that was posted about an hour before the one above Cheng claimed, “Anticipation over Verizon Wireless getting the Apple Inc. iPhone didn’t keep consumers from snapping up a smartphone during the holidays.” So which is it, Roger? The answer is in Cheng’s latest article: The promise of iPhone held back Verizon sales.) Looks like Roger wised up in the last hour. Now, how about a little consistency, WSJ?

[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Dominick P.” for the heads up.]

32 Comments

  1. Nice. By the time I decide to upgrade my 3GS to a new iPhone on AT&T, competitive pressure will mean the $30 unlimited plan I’m currently grandfathered in for will have returned to AT&T’s options.

  2. Hey, that’s the same deal I get on my iPad. ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”wink” style=”border:0;” />
    And conversely, I just lowered my iPhone plan to the 200mb option, because I’m not even using 100mb per month since I got it in September. I’m nearly to the point where I upload more than I download on my phone. Most everything is done on the iPad.

  3. @follower
    If you had the $30 unlimited plan with AT&T you will only lose it if you leave or remove the service.

    It just means no new unlimited plans for AT&T, but you never know… They may bring it back now that verizon is doing it.

  4. Well, it seems like everyone is trying to paint this as a great thing, which I’m sure it will be, for the 3% of the population that actually gobbles all that 3G data on their phone. The remaining 97% of the iPhone owners will likely use less than 200MB per month (AT&T’s limit for the $15 per month), and a majority of those would have likely been fine with Verizon’s old 150MB plan (for $15). So, now, if you want an iPhone, you will HAVE to pay through the nose, regardless of how much data you actually use.

    At least with AT&T, you can get an iPhone even if you can’t afford the monthly $80 (with taxes, fees, surcharges and other); it is still the cheapest way to get a phone with a data plan, at less than $60 (if we exclude the ridiculously cheap Virgin Mobile, for $25 per month with unlimited data and text, plus 400 minutes, no contract).

  5. Not having the $15 plan is a deal breaker for me. An extra $360 a year on top of what I already pay for internet service is too much. Maybe Sprint will have a better deal in a few months. What I want is an IPod Touch in the same package as a cell phone. That should not be too much to ask.

  6. That’s the ticket, Al! iPhone with no data plan at all, right? Is that what you mean by, “…an iPod touch in the same package as a cell phone.”? At least, that’s what I take it to mean, and if so, that is what I want – iPhone with no data plan at all, at least not mandatory. In other words, an iPod touch I can use as a cell phone. I simply do not need to have internet access on the lake, riding in car, etc. I think many people do not see the data plan as what it is – paying for internet access from anywhere they can get a cell signal – all for $15 – $30 per month!! No thank you! For my usages anyway.

Reader Feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.