“Does Steve Jobs have a surprise in store for the analysts and reporters gathering in San Francisco for ‘Let’s Rock’ — the dog-and-pony show Tuesday at which Apple is widely expected to unveil the next generation of iPods? Peter S. Magnusson hopes he does — and what he’s wishing for is a new Apple TV,” Philip Elmer-DeWitt writes for Fortune,
“The Swedish-born entrepreneur (and founder of Virtutech) points out in a thoughtful post that the upcoming holiday buying season is a perfect opportunity for Apple to overhaul the set-top box that even Jobs admits has been less than a runaway hit — and Tuesday would be a perfect opportunity to unveil the new device,” Elmer-DeWitt writes.
Elmer-DeWitt writes, “Apple TV [could] stage a fresh assault on the living room — especially if Apple throws in a few more goodies that Magnusson spelled out in a wish list posted on Sunday:”
• Blu-ray disc player; of course one that can also play DVDs and CDs
• ATSC tuner (ver-the-air digital TV)
• 500G hard drive (1T optional)
• DVR capability added to iTunes 8.0
• Time Capsule functionality, in other words, Time Machine backup
• Full Safari browser and support for (optional) keyboard
• Various new and improved options for Internet video
• Support for using the iPhone or the iPod touch as smart remotes
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Readers “JES42” and “Judge Bork” for the heads up.]