“Minister of Industry Jim Prentice said Friday the government had no intention of introducing new legislation to regulate cellphone companies over changes in text messaging services,” CBC News reports.
“Prentice had met with the heads of Bell Mobility and Telus over the companies’ new texting charges introduced in July, which called for customers whose cellphone plans did not include texting bundles to be charged 15 cents for incoming text messages. Previously, customers without text plans were only charged for outgoing messages,” CBC News reports.
“Prentice said in a statement Friday that after meeting with the two companies, he was ‘assured that customers charged for spam could contact their service provider to have the charges removed from their bills,'” CBC News reports. “‘Given these undertakings by Bell Mobility and Telus, I would encourage consumers dissatisfied with existing plans to seek alternatives. The telecommunications market in Canada is dynamic — choice is available,’ he said.”
“Bell’s new texting charges went into effect Friday. Telus announced a similar plan, with its changes set to take effect on Aug. 24,” CBC News reports.
“Consumers have protested the move as a cash grab in response to the increasing reliance on text messaging in Canada,” CBC News reports.
More info here.