Apple has released Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 which contain remote administration tools, documentation, and utilities that you can install on a computer other than your server. This version is required to administer Mac OS X Server version 10.5.3 from a remote Mac client. The Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 are available as a manual download from Apple Support Downloads, or as an automatic Software Update for Macs running Mac OS X 10.5.3 with version 10.5 of the Server Admin Tools already installed. Note: The Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 require Mac OS X version 10.5.3.
Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 include several improvements, including some delivered in the Mac OS X Server version 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 updates which were not previously available as a standalone download for non-server admin stations.
• Software Update pane now shows the correct description for the selected update in all cases (included in Mac OS X Server version 10.5.2).
• Nameservers of a primary zone are now listed in order in the DNS pane.
• Allows entries of DNS names with only one character, which allows setting up secondary reverse zones.
• Administrators can now allow transferring on Reverse Zones in DNS.
• General interface improvements for creating and editing DNS records.
• Server Admin no longer display the “Inherit permissions from parent” option for AFP sharepoints (because ACLs are now enabled by default).
• Auto Server Setup records now work with servers that have mixed-case DNS host names.
• Server Assistant now correctly reports any problems encountered when erasing a volume during installation on a remote server (included in Mac OS X Server version 10.5.2).
• Server Monitor and the ipmitool command updated for compatibility with Mac OS X Server 10.5.3.
• Addresses an issue that could prevent external users from being added to a newly-created group (included in Mac OS X Server version 10.5.1).
• Administrators can now send “Invitation” email messages to users on demand.
• Improved user interface for importing users and working with nested groups.
System Image Utility
• Setting a customized machine name for NetBoot/NetInstall clients now works correctly in System Image Utility.
• Introduces menu item for creating augmented user records. For more information, search for “augmented” in Workgroup Manager Help.
Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 is available via Software Update and also as a standalone installer.
More info and download link (64.5MB) here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “coolfactor” for the heads up.]