One man from Douglasville, Georgia, claims his old iPod nano got “hot enough to burst into flames,” WSBTV.com reports.
“Williams said the burn hole from the pocket of his pants marks the spot of his 15 seconds of flame,” WSBTV.com reports.
“‘I’m still kind of freaked out that after only a year and a half my iPod caught fire in my pocket,’ said Williams. The iPod uses a lithium ion battery — the same type of battery under recall for setting laptops on fire,” WSBTV.com reports.
“Williams said Apple wants him to send his iPod back and they’ve vowed to replace it,” WSBTV.com reports. “After Channel 2 sent Apple pictures of the iPod, they called back but they refused to say how common the problem is. In fact, Apple refused to talk about this particular incident at all.”
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Adam W.” for the heads up.]
If this did indeed happen, it’s a one in a million – make that a one in tens of millions – isolated incident or we would have heard other reports of such a thing happening over the long time period of sales for the previous generation iPod nano .