• Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5300 series “Clovertown” processors
• Intel Core microarchitecture
• 8MB of L2 cache per processor (16MB total; each pair of cores shares 4MB)
• 128-bit SSE3 vector engine
• 64-bit data paths and registers
• Energy efficiency optimization
• 1.33GHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside buses
Apple’s Mac Pro is shipping today with the standard prebuilt configuration, including two 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors and priced at $US2,499, through the Apple Store, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.
Changing the standard processors for two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon adds a rather economical $1498 extra. For example, taking the pre-built base unit and maxing out the processors results in just US$3,997:
• Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
• 1GB (2 x 512MB)
• 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
• NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
• One 16x SuperDrive
• Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse – U.S. English
• Mac OS X – U.S. English
More info here.
MacDailyNews Take: For when you absolutely, positively have to sequence the entire human genome before lunch.