“I am in fact truly in awe of what I witnessed Tuesday. Steve Jobs is the Salesman of the Century–nothing wrong with that. And Apple and Jobs have done everything right with the iPhone–so far. I certainly want one, and am rooting for Apple to dominate and transform the handset industry,” Mike Elgan writes for Computerworld.
Elgan writes, “However, I fear that the iPhone vision and the keynote were so flawlessly executed that Apple may have raised expectations that will be hard to fulfill. The things that might shatter this wonderful iPhone illusion are the things we do not know.”
Elgan’s 20 unanswered questions about the Apple iPhone:
1. How much will it cost to own an iPhone?
2. What will be the “unlocked” iPhone price?
3. How much will it cost to replace a lost or damaged iPhone?
4. How fast is the iPhone?
5. What did Jobs mean when he said the “iPhone runs OS X”?
6. How well will the iPhone sync with Windows applications?
7. Will businesses be able to use the iPhone?
8. Will the iPhone support Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents?
9. Will you be able to use your iPhone as a modem for your laptop?
10. Will the iPhone scratch or peel?
11. Will the iPhone be called the iPhone?
12. Will people hate the on-screen iPhone keyboard experience?
13. Can you use the iPhone to make VoIP calls?
14. Will people accept iPhone’s slow Internet connection?
15. Will third-party software vendors be able to create applications for the iPhone? If not, why not? If so, what are they?
16. Will iPhone’s single-carrier model wreck the product for most users?
17. Will there be any way to wirelessly share files with the iPhone?
18. Will the iPhone kill sales of iPods?
19. Will Apple be able to fill iPhone orders accurately?
20. Will the iPhone really “change the world?”
Elgan writes, “The iPhone vision Jobs unveiled was bold, risky, and amazing. Now we can only wait and see what Silicon Valley’s master magician really has up his sleeve. If Jobs and Apple can produce the right answers to these 20 questions, they’ll make a believer out of me.”
Full article here.
Report: iPhone could be upgraded to 3G with software update if Apple wishes – January 11, 2007
Report: Rogers Communications to offer Apple iPhone in Canada – January 11, 2007
David Pogue: hands on preview of Apple’s iPhone, ‘gorgeous and so packed with possibilities’ – January 11, 2007
PC Magazine hands-on test of Apple iPhone: multi-touch UI ‘takes the breath away’ – January 11, 2007
Mossberg’s initial take on Apple iPhone: ‘radical and gorgeous’ with ‘brilliant new user interface’ – January 11, 2007
NewsWeek’s Levy interviews Apple CEO Steve Jobs about iPhone – January 11, 2007
Why Apple’s iPhone doesn’t do high-speed mobile phone networks (yet) – January 11, 2007
RealMoney: Apple just blew up the whole damn mobile-phone supply chain with its new iPhone – January 11, 2007
ZDNet: Hands on with Apple’s iPhone: ‘elegant, ravishing, simple, sleek; impeccable & intuitive UI’ – January 11, 2007
Apple iPhone FUD campaign begins – January 10, 2007
Nine ways Apple changed the face of consumer electronics yesterday – January 10, 2007
Analysts and investors applaud arrival of Apple iPhone – January 10, 2007
Top 10 things to love and top 10 things to hate about the Apple iPhone – January 10, 2007
How Apple kept the iPhone top secret for 30 months – January 10, 2007
Hands-on with Apple’s iPhone – January 10, 2007
The only thing really wrong with Apple’s iPhone is its name – January 09, 2007
Is Apple building ‘The Device?’ [revisited] – January 09, 2007
Analyst Bajarin: Apple’s iPhone and Apple TV are industry game changers – January 09, 2007
Time: ‘iPhone could crush cell phone market pitilessly beneath the weight of its own superiority’ – January 09, 2007
Analyst: Apple iPhone should be given its own category – ‘brilliantphone’ – January 09, 2007
Cingular to use Synchronoss Technologies’ platform for Apple iPhone – January 09, 2007
iPhone photos from Apple’s Macworld Expo booth – January 09, 2007
Enderle: Apple’s iPhone is going to do very well – January 09, 2007
Apple debuts iPhone: touchscreen mobile phone + widescreen iPod + Internet communicator – January 09, 2007
FUD Alert: Analyst – I am pretty skeptical Apple’s iPhone can succeed – January 11, 2007
The Register’s Ray: Apple ‘iPhone’ will fail – December 26, 2006
Analyst: Apple iPhone economics aren’t that compelling – December 08, 2006
CNET editor Kanellos: ‘Apple iPhone will largely fail’ – December 07, 2006
Palm CEO laughs off Apple ‘iPhone’ threat – November 20, 2006