“Last week I received a new revision of the logic board that actually got rid of all whine! According to my service provider that did the repair this revision was brand new, only a few days old,” Rickard Almqvist reports over on MacInTouch.
“With the new logic board Apple also sent new installation DVDs needed to make a new install with the new logic board. They contained 10.4.6 instead of 10.4.5 that the computer was delivered with,”Almqvist reports. “I took a picture of Apple’s letter. To summarize: The new logic board got rid of all whine!”
Transcript of relevant portion of Apple’s letter:
New version MLB installed. While repairing your MacBook Pro, Apple installed a different version of the Main Logic Board (MLB).
MacDailyNews Take: So, stop yer whinin’!
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Too Hot!” for the heads up.]
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Apple firmware update fixes MacBook Pro overheating; jury still out on ‘whine’ – May 18, 2006
High-pitched whine reported by some MacBook Pro users – March 13, 2006