“If there is a computer company more perfectly positioned than Apple is in the marketplace right now, it is probably worth buying. Leaving iPod aside and focussing purely on the new Intel Macintosh platform, Apple seems to hold all the cards, while the Dells, HPs, Acers, Lenovos and others flounder desperately looking for a way to differentiate themselves in a flat market,” Stan Beer writes for iTWire.
Think of it this way. Apple has just released a totally new product range that will not spur on sales from its own ultra-loyal constituency of Mac users but has opened up the possibility – in fact the probablility – of significant sales to an entirely new market many times the size of its own user base,” Beer writes.
“Apple now has personal computing platform that is comparable in cost to most of its competitors but is more functional, more inherently secure, has more plug and play features and, incredibly, more open. All the disadvantages that kept PC users away from the Macs of the past are gone. Both platforms share the same hardware and users can even share data between Mac and Windows applications running in different virtual Windows,” Beer writes.
“PC sales results from the current quarter should be interesting to see when they’re released. At a guess, overall results will be flat. However, Macintosh sales will probably have spiked while others have dipped or stayed the same. Meanwhile, Windows PC manufacturers will probably be shaking their heads and hoping that Windows Vista arrives on time in 2007 to give their sales a much needed boost. What may worry them, however, is knowing that Macintoshes will also be perfectly capable of running Vista,” Beer writes.
Full article here.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
iTWire’s Beer: My next notebook is an Apple MacBook – May 18, 2006
iTWire’s Beer: Apple’s new ‘get a Mac’ campaign misses, preaches to converted – May 04, 2006
Many believe Mac market share increases coming now that Apple Macs can run Windows applications – April 25, 2006