“Jason Hirschhorn, named global digital officer of MTV Networks in November, is leaving the Viacom-owned cable network. He will assume a transitional consulting role through the summer,” Abbey Klaassen reports for AdAge.com. “Mr. Hirschhorn has been largely credited with guiding MTV’s broadband, wireless and digital-music strategy, most recently launching Urge, a digital-music store in collaboration with Microsoft that is an ambitious challenger to Apple’s iTunes, which has largely owned the digital-music market… He plans to spend part of the summer traveling through Europe.”
Full article here.
But, wait, why not stick around to enjoy the success of MTV and Microsoft’s URGE and those Italian-designed MTV portable music players? Oh, yeah, right… sorry. Hey, good move – summer in Europe sounds like a great idea!
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
MTV agrees to licensing deal for MP3 and MP4 portable media players (with images) – May 31, 2006
MTV URGE will have hard time competing with also-rans Rhapsody, Yahoo and Napster, let alone Apple – May 21, 2006
USA Today reviews URGE music service: crashed often, not all videos played, trouble playing music – May 18, 2006
MTV, Microsoft URGE music service begins life with a severe handicap – May 17, 2006
MTV’s and Microsoft’s URGE should concern also-rans like Real, Napster and Sony – not Apple – May 15, 2006
MTV’s and Microsoft’s iPod-incompatible URGE online music outfit faces uphill battle – May 15, 2006
EMI Music Chairman: Music subscription services like Napster and Rhapsody haven’t beeen huge – January 23, 2006
Oppenheimer downgrades RealNetworks based on Microsoft’s ‘URGE’ partnership with MTV – December 15, 2005
MTV-Microsoft URGE music service not targeting iPod, iTunes users; Real CEO PlayedForSure? – December 13, 2005
MTV and Microsoft team up for new digital music service ‘URGE’ – December 13, 2005
Apple’s vs. Microsoft’s music DRM: whose solution supports more users? – August 17, 2005
Study shows Apple iTunes Music Store pay-per-download model preferred over subscription service – April 11, 2005