Microsoft’s press release verbatim:
Microsoft Corp. today announced the availability of the Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac, its first Mac-specific desktop complete with a stylish wireless Comfort Curve Keyboard and a wireless High Definition laser mouse. With this new desktop set, the Microsoft Hardware division combines comfortable design with High Definition technology to deliver the ultimate in cutting-edge performance, luxury and style to any Mac user. The futuristic silver finish complements the Mac design to make a mark on any desktop while providing the freedom of wireless control.
The Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac features Microsoft’s first keyboard designed specifically for the Mac. The key layout is consistent with Mac-only keyboards. To truly meet Mac users’ needs, this is Microsoft’s only keyboard without the Windows Start button. The Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac is compatible with the new Intel-based Mac machines as well as PowerPC models, and will have Hot Keys that map to Mac programs such as iTunes and iPhoto.
“We are excited to see our colleagues on the Microsoft Hardware team provide this Mac-only keyboard and mouse to strengthen Microsoft’s lineup of products for Mac users, which includes our productivity suite, Office 2004 for Mac,” said Scott Erickson, director of product management and marketing for the Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft. “This launch further demonstrates Microsoft’s commitment to enhancing the computing experience for Mac users. We were able to preview the product at Macworld this January and saw firsthand the very favorable response from Mac customers.”
For greater comfort at work or in the home, the Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac’s Comfort Curve Keyboard encourages natural hand and wrist positioning in an easy-to-use layout for enhanced comfort and productivity. The Comfort Curve design is preferred by a ratio of 3-to-1 over flat, straight keyboards, and includes a cushioned palm rest for supreme comfort.(1) Designed and tested by Microsoft’s in-house ergonomists and usability experts, the Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac is the ultimate in comfort and performance for Mac users and includes the following key features:
• Mac Modifier Keys. Control, Option and Command buttons are right where users need them.
• Zoom Slider. Consumers can zoom in for a closer look at digital pictures, maps and more.
• My Favorites Keys. These five keys can be customized to instantly bring up favorite photos, folders, files and Web pages.
• Eject key. This key lets users easily eject CDs and DVDs.
• Hot Keys. These buttons offer one-touch, immediate access to programs consumers use the most, including those for e-mail, chat, music, photos and the Web.
High Definition for the Mac
The Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac features a sleek silver wireless High Definition laser mouse. Microsoft’s cutting-edge High Definition technology is two generations ahead of standard optical mouse products and gives the mouse ultimate precision and responsiveness.(2) In addition, the mouse utilizes Microsoft’s Intelligent Tracking System for smoother tracking without interruptions or skipping, even over unique surfaces. For enhanced performance this mouse also features a Tilt Wheel for navigating and viewing documents and spreadsheets with ease. One-click access to Microsoft’s Magnifier tool makes the Mac magnifier feature more discoverable for real-time document enlargement.
“The Hardware team has been creating Mac-compatible peripherals for many years,” said Rusty Jeffress, general manager of the Microsoft Hardware team at Microsoft. “We always value the feedback of our customers; for this product we went back to the drawing board with the specific requests of our Mac users, and are excited to deliver our first Mac-specific keyboard and mouse that provide the tools and features Mac users need to be productive.”
Pricing and Availability
The Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac will be available this summer for an estimated retail price of US$99.95.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Mac users should not buy Microsoft software (or hardware) – May 16, 2003