The Wall Street Journal’s Walt Mossberg has tested Apple’s new Boot Camp public beta. Mossberg writes that after installing Boot Camp and Windows XP on an Intel-based iMac, Windows ran “blazingly fast,” and all of the Windows applications he tested ran “flawlessly.”
The install time (installing Boot Camp itself plus the Windows installer) came in at 57 minutes, 17 minutes for the Boot Camp install and 40 minutes for Windows XP.
Mossberg did find a few issues – it is a public beta after all – including having to do a clock reset every time Windows is booted (the Mac’s system clock not recognized by Windows). Mossberg also found that he was not able to use Apple’s iSight camera, as Apple points out in their Boot Camp documentation.
Mossberg concludes, “Whether you want to run Mac or Windows programs, an Apple computer may be the only computer you’ll need.”
Full article here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
PC Mag wag: Is Boot Camp the end of Apple? – April 05, 2006
Macs that run Windows: The New Trojan Wars – April 05, 2006
Boot Camp: Apple’s Trojan horse into the enterprise market? – April 05, 2006
How to run Microsoft Windows XP on an Intel-based Macintosh with Boot Camp – April 05, 2006
Apple’s ‘Boot Camp’ a watershed, could dramatically expand Mac market share – April 05, 2006
Apple’s ‘Boot Camp’ is bad news for Windows-only PC box assemblers – April 05, 2006
Dude, you got a Dell? What are you, stupid? Only Apple Macs run both Mac OS X and Windows! – April 05, 2006
Reuters: Apple’s new ‘Boot Camp’ could draw millions of new Mac buyers – April 05, 2006
Apple shares surge over 6-percent in early trading on ‘Boot Camp’ news – April 05, 2006
Apple introduces Boot Camp: public beta software enables Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP – April 05, 2006