“A search of the European Patent Office reveals a patent application from Apple entitled ‘Database programs for handheld devices’ that was published in Feb 2006,” arn reports for Mac Rumors. “As advertised, the patent describes techniques for providing access to databases from handheld devices. The application, however, incidentally points out that ‘the remote handheld device can, for example, be a wireless phone which uses a telecom server to communicate with the database program.'”
“Apple describes limitations in current implementations in that ‘the user may use a remote wireless phone to find a phone number stored in a database, but there is no convenient way for the user to place a call to that phone number.’ The patent application describes methods for accessing remote databases and hyperlinking relevant data (urls, phone numbers etc…) to perform tasks conveniently — such as dialing,” arn reports. “The application shows images of a cell phone interface demonstrating the interactions.”
Full article here.
Mac Rumors has posted a “Gallery of iPhone Patents” here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Analyst: Apple ‘iPhone’ could put a dent in Motorola – March 20, 2006
Anayst: 75-percent chance of Apple ‘iPhone’ in next 12 months – March 16, 2006
Citigroup tech analyst: Apple ‘iPhone’ is going to be a category killer – March 03, 2006
Motorola to make Windows Media phones, keep separate iTunes phone line – February 13, 2006
Review: Motorola SLVR Apple iTunes mobile phone ‘an incredibly slick gadget with some shortcomings’ – February 13, 2006
Motorola and Cingular launch new SLVR L7 iTunes phone – January 31, 2006
Analyst sees new Apple iBooks by April, ‘media hub’ product, 1GB iPod nano, iPhone within a year – January 31, 2006
Analysts tackle Apple’s ‘Mobile Me’ patent, iPhone rumors, MVNO possibilities – January 19, 2006
The San Francisco Chronicle: Apple may link cell phone, iPod – January 17, 2006
Apple Computer getting into the mobile phone market? – January 12, 2006
Apple applies for ‘Mobile Me’ trademark – January 11, 2006
Morgan Stanley predicts Apple shares surge, Apple ‘iPhone’ in 2006 – December 16, 2005
Analyst predicts Apple-branded ‘iPhone’ with iTunes and terabyte iPod within five years – November 11, 2005
How Apple’s Steve Jobs snookered the entire cell phone industry – October 03, 2005
Motorola CEO Zander: Apple to build a smart phone, it’s only a matter of time – September 29, 2005
Apple may eventually introduce its own ‘iPhone’ cell phone-iPod combo and create Apple MVNO – September 12, 2005
If Apple isn’t working on their own iPhone, they’re making a stupid mistake – September 12, 2005
Does Apple need a mobile phone of its own design? – September 09, 2005
Piper Jaffray: Apple should develop ‘iPhone’ by themselves – September 06, 2005
Forbes: Apple Computer planning to become a phone company? – July 08, 2005
Wendland: Bill Gates is right, iPod will be replaced by smartphones – by Apple – May 13, 2005
Apple Registers iPhone Trademark in Australia – December 02, 2002