“Teaching through film is helping Ireland’s children learn key skills in communication, teamwork, problem solving and critical thinking, according to the Minister for Education and Science, Mary Hanafin. The Government’s FÍS film project has proved such a success that all of Ireland’s 3,500 primary schools will soon be using film right across the teaching curriculum,” Apple’s UK website explains. “Apple technology is at the centre of this unique education project. ‘The three watch words for FÍS are simplicity, connectivity and creativity,’ says Creative Director Ciarán McCormack. ‘Apple gets ticks in all three boxes. The hardware and the software are so intuitive that teachers and children can just get on with what the project is all about — making and using films to learn.'”
“FÍS is a Gaelic word meaning ‘vision.’ In English, it neatly works as an acronym meaning ‘Film in Schools’ — a simple name to describe a project with an ambitious aim. First piloted by the Irish Department of Education and Science in 1999, FÍS was introduced to support Ireland’s new primary school curriculum,” Apple’s UK website explains. “A pilot scheme was so successful in 31 Dublin and Cork schools that six years later, well over 100 primary schools are using film to enrich their studies. FÍS plans to support the use of film in all of Ireland’s 3,500 primary schools by the end of 2006.”
Full article here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.