“The most important new product that [Apple CEO Steve Jobs] showed us [at Apple’s most-recent media event was] free. You may have seen Apple’s Front Row digital media user interface and its six-button infrared remote. It takes over the display of any Intel-based Mac and puts up a large iPod-like menu. Previously, the menu incorporated only local and iTunes Music Store content. Now Front Row uses Macs’ wireless and Ethernet links to sniff out music and photos shared (published) by any nearby Mac or Windows computer, with video unannounced but likely to come,” Tom Yager writes for InfoWorld.
“Front Row with Bonjour is more than fun. It’s the best example of enterprise technology reborn as personal technology. Macs participate in a content sharing fabric without locating and mounting, setting up protocols and formats and players, or even building a LAN. If you have shared content on your MacBook Pro and wander within range of a Mac mini, your content appears in the Mac mini user’s Front Row menu. You might do nothing with Mac mini’s standard Airport Extreme transceiver but share content with other machines in your house or office. Apple’s consumer turn, with Leather Case for iPod and iPod Hi-Fi the likely focus of the press’s image of Apple, shouldn’t make us forget that Apple still has system and software engineers on its payroll,” Yager writes.
Full article here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Apple releases Front Row 1.2.1 – March 02, 2006