Sales of Apple Macintosh computers in France were up 37% in 2005 with Mac market share for 2005 rising to 2.6 % over 2004’s 2.2 %. Apple is now the 8th PC maker in France (10th in 2004), according to a report by Christophe Laporte for MacGeneration which quotes Gartner as the source. Desktop Macintosh sales rose +54 % and notebook Macs increased 20%.
Why did Apple have such a good year in France ?
• Good success in education (15.4 % marketshare in France – #1 in Q4/05). In France, french government has launched a special operation called MIPE through which students can buy a notebook fully-equipped for the price of a coffee each day. It makes it easier for students to buy a computer. Apple’s offer is very attractive with reduction up to 20 %.
• Price of Mac mini had an impact both on consumers and pro.
• iMac, is a big success too.
Full article (in French) here.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iMac and MacBook Pro owners: Apple USB Modem. Easily connect to the Internet using dial-up service. Only $49.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.