HandBrake 0.7.0 has been released. HandBrake is a multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter for MacOS X. Older versions of HandBrakes are available for Linux and BeOS.
• Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (even encrypted)
• PAL or NTSC
• AC-3, LPCM or MPEG audio tracks
• File format: MP4, AVI or OGM
• Video: MPEG-4 or H.264 (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer encoding)
• Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)
• Misc features
• Chapter selection
• Basic subtitle support (burned into the picture)
• Integrated bitrate calculator
• Picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
• Grayscale encoding
New in version 0.7.0:
• Multithreaded H.264 encoding with x264
• Added option for H.264 Baseline (suitable for iPods)
• (Very) experimental queue support
• Fixes for some DVD titles HandBrake would not recognize
• Fixes audio gliches when encoding from LPCM tracks
More info and download link here.
Advertisement: The New iPod with Video. The ultimate music + video experience on the go. From $299. Free shipping.
How to fill your Apple iPod with video content – November 02, 2005
Rip your DVDs for playing on Apple’s new video-capable 5G iPod – October 31, 2005
Free AppleScript converts Quicktime Player’s frontmost movie into iPod-readable video – October 28, 2005
Podner will reformat your movie collection for Apple iPod and iTunes – October 27, 2005
Using QuickTime Pro to create videos for playback in new Apple iPods – October 13, 2005
I love Handbrake
Oh no! Keep this on the downlow!
If you rip movies onto your computer that you have already paid $30 for so that the physical DVD isn’t destroyed without paying for the movie again, then the terrorists have won.
Join the war for peace.
Yeah, George W, that is what people are using Handbrake for, and not stealing copies of the dvds they’ve rented from Netflix…
George W. The fascist?
No, George B., the fascist.
Magic word : child (George B., the man who kills irakian children).
Just tried it and the queue doesn’t work right. When ripping it names each successive movie “Movie.mp4” so it erases what it ripped previously. I haven’t found a way around it. Anyone else?
Still love Handbrake though.
HandBrake, like the Mac… just works!
GW bashers, get a life would you.
MW: “george” no kidding. He’s just doing what he believes is right.
LOL, I love the main page, “No, there is no version of HandBrake for Windows, please stop asking.”
George W Apologists: get a soul
I’ve used Handbrake for since it was available for OSX and it is awesome and keeps getting better. The output quality can’t be beat by any of the the retail apps.
How does Handbrake compare to MactheRipper?
MW: ‘army’ as in there is an army of rippers out there that now makes it impossible to litigate against every single one of them.
Is Handbrake able to process dvds from “other” regions? Thought not. Oh well … back to p2p then.
Q – When ripping it names each successive movie “Movie.mp4” so it erases what it ripped previously. I haven’t found a way around it. Anyone else?
A – Move or rename the first file.