Allume Systems, Inc., a division of Smith Micro Software, Inc., today released StuffIt Deluxe 10, the latest version of its innovative data compression, access, and management tool for Mac OS X. This release includes our patent pending JPEG compression technology, allowing users to compress JPEG images and photos up to 30% with no loss in image quality. The only previous solution available for those looking to reduce the size of JPEG images was to further reduce the quality of the image. StuffIt’s JPEG compression technology provides a new solution that offers smaller files without any penalty of reduced picture clarity. The product also allows users to view thumbnails for archived JPEG images without requiring them to decompress the archive.
“StuffIt’s ability to compress JPEG images and photos – without reducing image quality – represents a significant innovation in the field of data compression,” said Matthew Covington, Director of StuffIt Product Line in the press release. “Along with its strong encryption, superior compression, and self-healing features, JPEG compression provides another clear reason to use the StuffIt X file format.”
StuffIt Deluxe also offers new features that seamlessly integrate with Mac OS X 10.4 “Tiger”. The included Spotlight Importer allows Spotlight to index file names for items stored inside StuffIt, Zip, and Tar archives. When the user performs a search, Spotlight will now list all the archives on the user’s computer that contain files that match the search terms. StuffIt Deluxe 10 also includes support for Tiger’ s new Automator scripting tool allowing users to compress and expand StuffIt, Zip, and Tar archives as part of their Automator workflows.
StuffIt Deluxe 10 includes StuffIt SEA Maker!, a new tool that provides the user with unprecedented control over how files are packaged for distribution. Users can create powerful self-extracting “packages” that allow them to control where files are expanded on their recipient’s computer. Users can even add a splash screen and text dialog to their distribution.
Overview of new features and benefits
• JPEG Compression: Compress JPEG photos and images up to 30% without further reducing image quality. New! Preview Thumbnails: Preview archived JPEG images within StuffIt X archives (.sitx) without having to decompress the data.
• Spotlight Importer: StuffIt Deluxe 10 extends the reach of Apple’s Spotlight search technology to include files stored in StuffIt, Zip, and Tar archives.
• Automator Support: Use Mac OS X 10.4’s Automator to create automated solutions that include the ability to compress and expand StuffIt, Zip, and Tar archives.
• Package Files for Distribution: StuffIt SEA Maker! allows users to create self-extracting archives that open automatically on Mac OS 10.3 and 10.4. Users can specify the directory to which files in the archive will be expanded, and can also choose to generate and display a splash screen and text dialog during installation.
• “Restore” mode: StuffIt Expander features a new restore mode that will allow users to automatically expand the contents of an archive, created with Archive Assistant, back to the location on the hard drive from which they were backed up.
• Improved Performance: The introduction of a new “Better” compression algorithm allows StuffIt to compress up to 20% faster than prior versions.
• Improved .Mac Support: StuffIt Express™! PE now allows users to create dropboxes that can send and retrieve files from a .Mac iDisk.
• Improved Encryption: Users now have to enter a password to view the contents of an encrypted StuffIt X archive (.sitx), but unlike previous ” whole archive encryption” implementations, once a password has been entered, the contents of encrypted StuffIt X archives can be changed.
The MSRP for StuffIt Deluxe 10 is $79.99, available directly from Allume and popular retailers and catalogs and distribution partners worldwide.
Systems Requirements: StuffIt Deluxe 10 requires Mac OS 10.3 or higher. The Spotlight Importer and Automator scripting tool requires Mac OS 10.4.
To learn more about StuffIt Deluxe 10, StuffIt Standard 10 and other StuffIt product lines visit: http://www.stuffit.com
Related MacDailyNews articles:
Zip compression built into Panther’s Finder; will StuffIt wither away? – August 01, 2003